Friday, June 16, 2023

in C


search this one out

ton of favourite tunes done as instrumentals. classic line up of guitar fiddle banjo mandolin so  find a tune you like and play along. yeah man

louisiana saturday night. nashville cats and all that. hehehe.


anyway the recommended process is to learn a new song bar by bar and keep tacking them on.

I suppose if you were someone like hilary hahn who plays some wonderful violin then that is the way it has to be done with prodigious feats of memory

love ya hillary. never knew you existed till I looked for Beethovens violin concerto and then bang you swam into view enhancing my life. thank you.

anyway I love old time appalachian fiddle music songs, dont ask me why, which are usually short repeated eight bar phrases times two with  a and b sections. 32 bars.

my m.o. is to try and memorise the whole thing in one go by repetition of the entire piece over and over  correcting imperfections and flubs on the next go round. when it gets really tedious then leave it alone for a week or two and maybe the next time you play it comes out without reading the tab and sounding okay,

yeeehah 

just got red haired boy committed to memory now. I said ragtime annie was going to be the last one. it too had nagged at me for years from a doc watson event in the 70's and then I heard a fiddle player do it 30 years later for real outside the Regent in Masterton. Had to go and ask her the name of tune and kapowie. lights on.


Ditto for red haired boy which I picked up from a book of tunes years ago and never got around to finishing. this time I got some tab and notes trad arrangement by Steve Carr from bluegrassguitar.com that  was clear and accurate and fitted the above album. ace

dont know the history of this apparently real folk tune and who claims ownership now but so what.

Learned the wind that shakes the barley from an old banjo book many years ago and then latterly found out it was a rallying song for the boyos. so there ya go. dont think it was a wade mainer tune but he was one of the best


 

tra la la twiddle dee dee dee it gives me a thrill

No comments:

now for something completely different...