Tuesday, August 23, 2022

3 lp's with the biggest impact...




 many years ago I worked in the bush and on the roads. cutting trees, planting tress and other assorted silvicultural and infrastructure labour intensive gigs for people with a broad back and a weak mind.

there wasn't much to amuse us all except boozing reefers and playing music.

when I first heard the string band project I wanted to do that. sing play the banjo and hoedown and wingding.

I got a banjo whcih I never mastered but I learned to play a few songs off it and the person who worked them out for me did it in different keys to the original. sly chap. eventually I learned what a key was, how to transpose and how to cop tunes off the record.

It took a while. somehow I found a copy of Dco Watson and Son and the two doubles he put out for Vanguard. The first time I heard his warm tenor and ace picking I was smitten. I do play a few Doc Watson songs these days but I dont have his instrumental facility but I do alright. after years on a chainsaw and shovel my digits were not exactly lithe and nimble.

The third mind blower was Michael Bloomfield and Al Koopers Supersession

In my opinion Bloomfield is second only to Jimi Hendrix in inventiveness and melodic fluidity. He never used any pedals and he never wrote much of any note but his playing is sublime.

No comments:

now for something completely different...