Friday, September 15, 2017

BATTLE OF BRITAIN DAY....

I was born in the forties.
A baby boomer in a small New Zealand town where the war was still fresh in peoples minds.
There was no shortage of war comics and bios and histories of the war and the Battle Of Britain.
Consequently it stayed with me over a lifetime and I have read many many books on the subject.
Later on the politics and the backbiting were revealed with a bit more candour and a rounded view was developed of the men and their machinery.
all this apart from the terrible tragedy of the war itself.
Just recently I bought a 2disc dvd set about the Battle of Britain "Fighting The Blue" which was commissioned by the BBC.
It just sat there till last night when for some reason or another I decided to watch it and then lo and behold on my facebook page it was made known that today was remembrance day.
Earlier this year I acquired a book on Stuffy Dowding and of course being a new zealander I have read the bio of sir Keith Park.
These are the men who won the battle.
Dowding planned it and Park was the warrior on the ground.
The internal politics meant that Dowdings name was blackened and he was shafted out of his job and Park was too.
Dowding did the right thing and accepted his role and Park went on to do the same job on the island fortress of Malta.
I salute these men for their contributions and the gentlemanly way they accepted the rough treatment handed out to them.as others sought to bask in their glory.



No comments:

now for something completely different...