Thursday, July 9, 2020

the truth hurts...









Add caption





 The fact of the matter is that all the music I like is old fashioned out of date and the kids today dont care.
I was sitting in a double seat on the train yesterday gazing at a Lou Reed CD I picked up for $2 at the SPCA shop in Upper Hutt. There was a youth opposite with a nifty looking Keyboard so I showed him the cover and asked him if he knew who it was.
BlanK!!!!!!
He wan't interested in taking to me.
I may as well have been invisible.
btw they still have a pile of classic Bob Dylan if anyone is interested.
anyway the kidzz today like their processed, vocoded, frantic, protooled garf precisely because it is theirs just like WE did in our time.
by the end of the century all the stuff me and my pals "DIG" will be ancient  history and completely forgotten which I suppose is as it should be but still it occasions a little bit of sadness especially when I realise how great some of it was musically and artistically and what a feeling of achievement an amateur gets when they learn to play the best of it.
And pre-internet you had to learn it by ear or pay through the nose for a bit of sheet music that was usually not in the same key as the record and the vocal line was nothing like it either.
I am sure Bach and Mozart and Beethoven would have flipped at the groovy arrangement of Friday On My Mind.
Stunning musical achievement but obsolete now.
I even had a baptist minister tell me recently that Now Thank We All Our god is boring and dreary.
Well thank you very much.
I happen to like it very much even though it demands a chord change on every beat in some passages.
it demands application to learn to play.
It was composed by a man who stayed with his flock during a bout of the plague when he could have fled but such is life.
It offers thanks and praise and is not about ME with endless repetitous verse and choruses that say nothing.
nobody gives a stuff anymore.
everything is transient and disposable and infantile and nobody cares very much as long as they have been to makoo pikoo or mongolia and nobody else has and/or has a groovy haircut.
ya get that.

No comments:

now for something completely different...