Friday, June 30, 2023

still got the blues...


 Bonnie Raitt: I went there to go to college. I just played guitar as a hobby, but I ran into a lot of blues freaks at the Harvard station, WNW, and at Club 47 in Harvard Square, a major outlet for musicians like Buddy Guy, Junior Wells, Taj Mahal, and Canned Heat, not to mention John Hurt and Skip James. Strangely enough. I'd rushed to get old enough to catch this great Greenwich Village folk scene I'd heard about, and naturally the year I moved to Cambridge the club closed, and along came The Ultimate Spinach and acid rock. This whole incredible political scene went to pot, literally, but that's when I met Dick Waterman.

I was already a blues freak when I left California. There was a kind of blues mafia between New York, Philadelphia, and Cambridge—all these esoteric people talking about their blues idols' eating habits, the obscure 78s they'd find, and Dick was a kind of liaison, but he was unique in his concern for taking care of artists who were still alive rather than trying to revive an era that was dead. Everyone at the Harvard station knew him, and if you wanted to do a blues show, you'd call Dick Waterman. Periodically Son House, Skip James, or Arthur Crudup would come to town. Anyway, one afternoon a friend of mine invited me to this apartment on Franklin Street, and who was there housesitting for Dick Waterman, but Son House. I was just floored. Then I began to meet them all.
Dick at the time managed Junior Wells, Buddy Guy, Magic Sam, Otis Rush, Luther Allison, J.B. Hutto, as well as many other traditional bluesmen. The reason it made sense to have so many under one agency was to protect them from the abuse of white blues promoters. Club owners would play one bluesman against the other. They'd say, "Well, we can get Bukka White for $200 less, so why bother with Son House?" Then Son's manager would have to drop his price in order to get the guy a gig at alt Dick was outraged, and by keeping them all under one agency he could protect their rights. "You're not going to get any of them to play unless you pay what they deserve," he'd say. I started traveling around with Dick, driving Son, Skip, or Sleepy John Estes to the blues festivals, and I became real tight with them. With Buddy or Junior Wells, guys in their forties, that was fun, but with the older men friendship was difficult. John Hurt died right before I met Dick, and that was just the beginning of a series of five or six deaths, which was terribly painful for those who knew them. But still, meeting them and knowing them was overwhelming; I can't describe it.
Patricia Brody, 1977 Interview
Bonnie Raitt 1975, by Norman Seeff

No comments:

now for something completely different...