Saturday, June 10, 2017

see what I mean...


I forked out for a library interloan to get this last week after I heard Kim Hill interviewing him on Saturday Mornings on Radio New Zealand last Saturday morning. (hehehehehehe) .
I thought I had read it before and in the event I could not be bothered.
Jackson seems to be an insufferable snob and the blurb on the front cover says it all.
It was not spellbinding.
It was mainly a sort of travelogue cum namecheck of all the literary wannabees nz has produced before the www and a kiss my arse now I have the big tenure at Harvard U.
As I mentioned I thought I had read it previously and vaguely recalled or thought I recalled him making some scathing remarks about the denizens of the old Duke Of Edinburgh.
If he was an anthropologist then he should have been able to place these people in a proper perspective  without resorting to blanket put downs that look to be camouflage for his own proclivities.
Theres the rub. Jackson tells of his own missed recollections of the death of Saint-Exupery and I thought I recalled something that wasn't there in his book. It may have been but I could not be bothered wading through all his bullshit to find out.
So there ya go.
Ya get that on thebigjobs.

No comments:

now for something completely different...