Wednesday, January 4, 2012

pete seeger, john lee hooker, jimy reed and new underpants.


RONNIE GILBERT




santa left me a warehouse $20 gift voucher so I went to town intending to buy some new underpants.
I like that word. underpants. better than briefs or grundies.
it says what it means and means what it says. a refuge for klingons.
anyway I ended up grabbing four cd's that were cheap and very good quality.
jimmy reed.
john lee hooker.
JLH is a 2cd set with 50 trax.
pete seeger.
union songs.
and a compilation with the Staples singers on it.
original versions of "The Last Time" (?) and a gospel version of Will The Circle Be Unbroken that is totally different to the country version.
so died and went to heaven.
and the lady is Ronnie gilbert who if RNZ got of their asses and played some stuff by the Weavers then you could hear her really wonderful voice.
3 days ago I got a cramp in my frigging HAND of all places and now my middle finger wants to fall off.
anyway I went to town today and busked against all my inclinations not to.
funny thing is I have been thinking about Traffic's "Low spark of high heeled boys" and blow me down if there wasn't a pristine copy in the Family Shop plus Best of Traffic too!!!!!!!!!!
yay!
very hot in town and only made enough for my bus fare home, four records, a filled roll and $3.
but it was worth it and now my hand will need a long rest.
the girl selling strawberries didnt mind so I guess It wasnt my voice.
saw a few de-balled guys I used to know.
their wives got them cut.
they dont want to speak to me.
they know I dont drink and they know I dont stand round telling lies at the bar anymore.
been to many places.
they got all their status heirarchy's sorted out and no interlopers.
well fuck them.
they should man up but they wont.
they wanna buy a plastic hotrod or a hardly davison and be authentic but nup.
they stay little people.
nice trout  pool in the waignawa.
can see it from the bus.
will be gone when the next big fresh hits but I reckon there is a big one there.
and if you catch it then another one will be there tomorrow.
let em live.
btw Pop Staples has a neato role in True Stories.
why dont TVNZ play that one for a change.
I cant think of how many times they have played the green mile and as good as it gets.
kid on the computer next to me is watching Metallica in Russia.
wow and WOW.
bunch of posers but they great.
Had to turn the cricket off.
Danny Morrison needs to address his mode of speech.
every second word is an interrogative. isn't it?
it is the mark of a little person and he should be bigger than that.
using interrogatives is dishonest and disrespectful. asking to peopel to agree with you without giving them time to consider the evidence is an argument from authority and invalid.
listening to it an unending stream of it just grates ubeleivably and then the aussie commentators start doing it too and instead of telling people what is happening and letting them consider it we are being told how to think about it.
nada.
fix it.
the ABC editors should consult their style guide and make some rules as the commentary is fast becoming some sort of imitation of low grade english soap operas. 

No comments:

now for something completely different...