Thursday, June 16, 2022

fundamentally frank wilczek; part 2...






 Many thanks to Frank Wilczek for his wonderful book,"Fundamentals, Ten Keys to Reality".

what a head scratcher.

I have never been a numbers person/mathematgician per se but I ha ve always been interested in science and physics.

In about 1998 I did the Philosophy of Science paper at VUW.

as a sometime engineer I found most of it to be philosophical nonsense designed to confuse with endless abstract arguments that led nowhere.

I detested Karl Popper from the moment I read his book LSD long before I ever studied him academically. something about him leapt off the page that jibed with my personal sensibilities. This was confirmed by his last interview where he said that he was so glad he had stymied the logical positivists. That is true and indeed the vienna circle did have to either abandon or change their philosophy. However the point I am trying to make is that there is n o logic to Poppers philosophy. i.e. how can one discover anything if one is continually trying to falsify something?

Frank Wilczek puts that whole schtick to the sword by outlining what a real scientist does and it is certainly not the procedure bruited by popper.

Read his book for yourself and then read poppers diatribe and the difference is as plain as night day.

Not being a quantum physicist myself (larfs) I had to struggle with  the number of entities and whether they were leptons mesons hadrons or quarks but  my real personal epiphany came when I realised that what ever existence they have they are held together by FIELDS! It made the whole thing fit in my mind just like that.

wow!

Thank you Frank Wilczek for the service you have done for the world and for me.

No comments:

now for something completely different...