Tuesday, October 11, 2022

joe louis redux...


'Jack Blackburn was born in Kentucky in 1893. He'd been one hell of a fighter himself. In twenty years he'd had over one hundred fights as a Lightweight and won most of them. He was rough-talking; I suppose anybody who'd been in and out of prison - he had served five years for murder - would talk rough.
He wouldn't let me in the ring for the first week I knew him, but made me hit the punching bag over and over. He'd hold the bag and give me instructions on how to throw punches. I did this morning, noon and night until I could have sworn the bag was punching me, too.
After a while, he let me box for him. He saw my faults right off. I was hitting off balance. He started correcting this by showing me how to plant my feet and punch with my whole body, not just by swinging my arms.
He said people going to fights don't want to see a dancer or a clincher - they want to see a man who goes for the guts. He said that I had strength and that I could beat or knock out anybody I wanted if I planted my feet in the right position.'
- Joe Louis

No comments:

now for something completely different...