Friday, September 30, 2011

I can see clearly now

forgot to mention a quick visit to the family shop this am.
found two cassettes, remember them?
one by Johnny Nash with I Can See Clearly Now on it and one by Crystal Gayle without her big hits but a reading of Miss the Mississipi by Jimmie Rodgers onit.
I can see clearly now is in the Key of D with a nifty bridge with a hemiola, a key change and a crescendo that covers all the bases. A good song to play and try out all your skills on.
Miss The Mississippi is a beautiful tune. Jimmie rodgers was more than just a hillbilly countrysinger. This song is almost an art song with parts and chorusses that blow you away and on the original I think Louis Armstrong played cornet. Or was that "Any Old Time"? It dont matter. Jess grab em all and enjoy it.
Crystal Gayles most popular song is "Dont It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" but I like "River Road" the classic absconding song which dead heats with Rodney Crowells "Leaving Louisiana" for angst and insight into the common condition.

No comments:

now for something completely different...