Sunday, September 18, 2011

mumbai, music and georgia

Spent the afternoon finishing my little music stand project which I will never use!
I had one which was basically very light and for parlour use. Not built to stand the rigours of band use or busking and it wore out and fell to bits very fast. So I cannibalised the top part and went around the town collecting bits for the base and the stand.
The base is made out of Mumbai teak salvaged from what was the old bund from the Raj days in Mumbai. Its al being pulled down now for new developments and there is a lot of timber available. I got mine from Peter King of Kings 1Vth generation carpenters and woodworkers. They had imported the timber to build a kitchen to specs from a Black Cap who had seen the wood on his last tour to India. It is lovely timber still redolent of some oil and aged to perfection. Pete cut me the two pieces and sawed out the 'gap' which I then chiseled out and smoothed for a force fit. While Peter was doing the work he told me the story of the wood and also how he became connected to the Georgian Rugby Team who are being hosted in the Wairarapa for the duration of the Rugby World Cup. He told me this great yarn about how Georgians had invented Rugby with a pigs bladder back in 600bc or some such. anyway we had a bundle of laughs.


I got the stand from Massons Implements Co. who have been in Carterton since the year dot. I borrowed the chisel from a friend so I had to take it back today and swap it for an eggbeater hand drill to do a little hole through the mild steel tube and the very light metal of the original piece. And then back to Massons for a metal safety pin 30c to stop the music holder from flapping in the breeze. My shoulder is flipping aching now but hey. I have this artifact fashioned mostly by me and useful. tomorrow I have to take the drill back.
the picies are just incidental but I hope you like them.

No comments:

now for something completely different...