Friday, September 16, 2011

When the Stars Begin to Fall

Cool saturday morning. Sunny at first but then it clouded over.
Went down town for the rag but nothing in it except r*gby.
Listening to the Seekers. Judith Durham certainly had the voice.
The Family shop was given a large collection of cassettes and they put out the new ones on Saturday morning.
Thats where I found the 'Preservation Hall' tape last week. Really great arrangements. Reminds me of the cd by Lonnie Johnson in his later life. Its like those rugby league halves that mesmerise the defences and beofre you know it they have slipped over and scored. Wuz going gangbusters on the tunes till the quack said the A word. Arthritis. Never mind I can still sing "Take My Hand Precious Lord" without accompanying myself on the banjo.
How good is that?
and I scored a bio of John Buchan ( Lord Tweedsmuir) by his wife and friends.
I came late to John Buchan. Of course I knew the '39 Steps' by repute   but I never read it till I was over forty and then I had to get the rest. I have read much of Steinbeck and Louis L'amour but the thing is they copied their adventure style from JB. Strange but true. Simple prose and a propulsive plot and the action never stops. wonderful formula.
The funny thing is I got a book of Celtic penny whistle tunes from the library by Robin Williamson from the Incredible String Band, but the tunes I liked best and learned were all the Scotch ones???????????
So the 'Standard' bliog is filled with doom and gloom. No one really knows how this economic cycle will play out. The left right dichotomy still operates but now it seems as if the environment is going to "scotch" all the best laid plans of mice and men.
There is still plenty of stones left after the stone age!





Barack Obama. great to see you honouring American soldiers for their contribution to freedom and democracy. Without the boys on the ground we would be b*ggered.
And dont forget kiddies...Mike Bloomfield is still the GREATEST!

No comments:

now for something completely different...